Okay, We’re Not Actually DYING at Age 25!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010



So as a follow-up to the post “So When You’re Feeling Old…” (2 posts down), I wanted to ask the question “why is our generation trying so desperately not to age?” Your comments on that last post got me really thinking (a rare happening).

Just so you know what age group I’m referring to, I’ll tell you my age, I’m exactly fiftyisheraboutintheresomewhere years old. My generation does not appear to accept the aging process and mortality well at all. We will all die, it’s inevitable. But how we handle the road to that point is either with grace or through rush-hour traffic.

I myself have had my share of dread entangled with my thoughts of getting old(er). Turning 50 was a drag to say the least, and with menopause at its peak then, it was truly an uphill battle. A battle I didn’t need since my knees are giving out as well!

So then why the heavy face creams, Botox, hair color, laser, tweezers, lifts, and polish? I don’t recall my parents being so concerned. Maybe it’s because they had such a hard life in comparison that the end sounded better for them??? We, (my generation) are a tad on the spoiled side. Most of us had the Ozzie and Harriet upbringing, the real estate and stock market boom, and technology growth to make our lives easier, maybe too easy. Is it possible we just don’t want to leave a good thing so we try desperately not to age at all?

One thing I am especially thankful for is that I was not born into the present “I want” generation of computer kids living without the simplest good things in life from our time, i.e., building a skateboard from old roller skates (after you lose the key), shooting croquet in the backyard, playing board games with family.

The way I see it, I’ve earned each and every wrinkle and every gray hair on my head (although I’ll color until the day I die!!). I never let a day go by where I don’t thank God for the gifts in my life; my kids, hubby, family, and friends.

So when it’s “my turn to go,” I will be ready for the next adventure. By that time (hopefully not too soon!), I’ll be anxious to leave what this world has become in hopes there is something better in the world beyond (and I’ll go there without a single gray hair on my head).

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP